We had an Australian man working for us a few years ago. As a self confessed steak fiend he tried and tested this one repeatedly over 6 months.
Feeds 4 adults
What you need
- One large slice of “Burgess Rump” steak
- Two glasses of good red wine
- 4 juniper berries
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Prepare
- Slice the steaks into 4 oven portions, the depth of the cut will still give each person plenty of meat.
- Marinate the steaks in the remaining ingredients in a glass or ceramic dish in the refreidgerator.
- We suggest 24hrs marinating time, turning the steaks after 12 hours.
How to Cook
- Pour off the marinade and reserve. Place steaks on a clean plate. Pat dry.
- Turn the heat up high. Fry each steak (or BBQ) for approximately 3-4 minutes per side, place each steak in an oven proof dish and transfer to a hot oven for a further 5-7min per side depending on you like your steak cooked (medium rare is best)
- While the steaks are finishing, melt 2 tbsp of butter into the pan used to cook the steaks. Add the marinade, allowing it to reduce almost half. Strain and reserve.
- Serve the steaks with some steamed green vegetables and mashed potato.